I got some beautiful black beans from my CSA this week. Here is a light and clean vegetarian soup, perfect for the start of winter. Serve it with some warm crusty bread.
For our pescatarian friends, try adding 1 1/2 pounds of fresh peeled tiger shrimp with the cilantro and lime juice and poach until just cooked through.
Makes 10 cups.
- 1 cup dried black beans
- 1 large bay leaf
- 5 cups water
- 1 t. kosher salt
- 1 large carrot cut into 1/4″ dice
- 1 onion cut into 1/4″ dice
- 2 stalks of celery cut into 1/4” dice
- 1 small leek, stem and green part cut away, cleaned well, and cut into 1/4″ dice
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup whole San Marzano tomatoes, diced
- 2 t. Salt
- 1/2 t. Smoked paprika
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- juice of 1 lime
- extra virgin olive oil for finishing
- Put first 4 ingredients together in a pot, bring to a boil, then simmer for about 45 minutes or until tender. Drain and set beans aside.
- Put next 10 ingredients together in pot and heat to a simmer.
- Add beans, cilantro, and lime juice. Taste for seasoning.
- Ladle into bowls and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
Find Bliss Boston Food Editor Jimmy Smith is the founder, co-owner, and VP of Love Catering, Inc. in Los Angeles, a full-service catering company to to the stars…and their hanger’s-on. For the past seven years, he has been a stay-at-home Dad and short-order cook for his partner and their seven year-old triplets here in Topsfield, MA. Yes, triplets…