Whatever’s going on with your life. Whatever’s going on under your board. Don’t fight it, just ride it.

karen_fraser_boston_yoga_2

These days, when she is not on her mat, northshore yoga instructor (and avid surfer) Karen Fraser (RYT 500) can likely be found with her two young grandchildren underfoot.  After a full summer teaching her popular Stand-Up Paddle series in North Hampton, October finds her ready to downshift and enjoy the fleeting moments she has with these two darlings.  Because before you know it, ski season will be upon her and she will head for the slopes of Vermont to enjoy an outdoor adventure of another sort… in the snow!  “It’s all awesome, but man do I get tired!”

With over 25 years experience as a group fitness instructor and certified personal trainer, Karen bring’s a unique element of creativity, mindfulness, attention to alignment, and boundless energy to her power vinyasa classes.  As we chat, Karen is lounging with her grandson at her side.  His lids are heavy, and the television is dialed in to Sesame Street.  All is good!

wind up…  how do you wind up, prepare for the week ahead?

I meditate daily to center myself and often a theme will pop up.
I practice the physical asana at the gym, at home, or anywhere for that matter.  I also like to dance, and go with the flow and like being under water – like seaweed moving with the ebb  and flow of the ocean.

surf_boston_yoga_1

and, when you need to exhale…  what’s your other direction?

Being with my very active family brings me joy, peace, contentment, and laughter!  We ski, golf, surf, hike, vacation, and dine!  Recently adding “grandmother” to my title is the icing on the cake!  I feel blessed and like to give back to the world some of this joy … in anyway that I can.

favorite high powered snack?

Pure protein bar – chocolate deluxe! One a day!

can you share with us your dream team…  if you could practice with anyone?

Kevan Gale and Shiva Rea

karen_fraser_boston_yoga_1

what three things are you never without?

Never without my cell, my sneakers and my lipstick!

the sound of music…   you have room for 5 tracks on your playlist, they are?

Hallelujah, by Rufus Wainwright
Are You With Me, by Lost Frequencies
Twameva, by Loveland
OM Namo Bhagvate Vasudevaya, by Krishna Das
OM Mantra, by Jane Winther

your bible…  what one book do you turn to time and time again for inspiration?

The Deeper Dimension of Yoga (Shambhala 2003), by George Feuerstein

finish the sentence…  i’d like to teach the world to?

To love one another unconditionally, with compassion for our differences – free from judgement, expectations, and attachment.

Catch Karen’s weekly classes at Tribe and Drive Custom Fit in Salem, NH… and occasionally at the Yoga Loft in Wilmington.