MEET DANIEL MAX, CO-FOUNDER AND DIRECTOR OF JP CENTRE YOGA

160303JPCYDanielMaxPOR-4430

Daniel is the co-founder of JP Centre Yoga (JPCY), a diverse vinyasa-based yoga studio in Jamaica Plain, where he teaches weekly classes and directs a registered yoga teacher training.  Born in Israel, he  came to the U.S. in his early 20s. Here, through his studies, he became certified as a shiatsu practitioner, massage therapist, yoga instructor, and nutrition and health counselor.  Informed by his practice of yoga and meditation for the past 15 years, Daniel’s classes aim to support the health of body and mind with reverence to the heritage and philosophy of the yogic path. His deep interest in the physical body and its energetic blueprint inspires sequences which encourage optimal anatomical function with an emphasis on alignment.  His interest in yogic teachings started as a child during his visits to India, and his first experience of yoga came later on an island in Thailand in the midst of a two-year backpacking adventure.

When working as a nutrition counselor, Daniel draws from a blend of Eastern and Western nutrition theories – finding what works best for each individual.  In his role at JP Centre Yoga, he feels fortunate to be working with a dedicated team of teachers, along with his co-founder Sejal Shah and the JPCY community at large.  In concert with his colleague, Magi Pierce, Daniel created and teaches the studio’s RYT 200 hour teacher training curriculum.  Their next training will begin in early 2017.  As he reveals in our chat, he summons the morning with meditation which leaves him “both energized and grounded as he moves into his day.”  Follow Daniel and stay up to date on the studio through FacebookInstagram and twitter.

wind up… how do you wind up, prepare for the week ahead?

To avoid finding myself overly wound up, I rely on morning meditation. With no distractions other than my own mind, I learn a lot about my thought patterns and underlying motivations. Meditation leaves me both energized and grounded as I move into my day and has allowed me to sustain a more authentic connection with myself and with others.

and, when you need to exhale… what’s your other direction?

Yoga provides me with the greatest feeling of release. The practice has taught me how to work through discomfort rather than work around it.

160303JPCYDanielMaxPOR-4523

what three things are you never without?

A support system of people
Readiness for a new adventure
My breath and body are my greatest assets for “going inward” and finding peace. I’m glad they’re always there…

your bible…  what one book do you turn to time and time again for inspiration?

Eastern Body Western Mind, by Anodea Judith

160303JPCYDanielMaxPOR-4507

bliss pose?

Depending on the moment I might take a handstand or a child’s pose… It’s usually a posture that allows my head to rest below my heart.

finish the sentence, i’d like to teach the world to…

listen to the wisdom of the body rather than only live as an extension of the mind.

Profile compiled by, Susan Currie.
All images by, Gretjen Helene Photography.