Today’s recipe comes from Dan LiBoissonnault. Dan is the owner and creative force behind Dan’s Power Plant purveyors of fine, vegan nut cheeses and raw crackers. Dan is a lover of wine and an expert sommelier with many years experience as a wine buyer, seller, and consultant. When Dan switched to a vegan diet, he started working on nut cheese recipes he could enjoy with his favorite wines. You can find the scrumptious results of his toils at Coolidge Corner Yoga in Brookline, 141 Bradford Market in Provincetown, The Old Creamery Co-Op in Cummington and at the Cambridge and Roslindale Farmer’s Markets on Saturday throughout the winter. Dan has also recently completed his yoga teacher training. You can meet Dan in person and take one of his classes at Milton Hill Sport & Spa.
This simple recipe is his go to after a very busy day. You can substitute any vegetable that you like. For a smokier version use Smoked Paprika and Garlic Fauxmaggio.
- 1/2 cup crimini mushrooms sliced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup zucchini cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup asparagus tops, about 1 inch
- 1 yellow crock neck squash, seeded and cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1/2 cup carrots cut into thin strips
- 2 T. good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup Garlic & Herb Fauxmaggio
- 1/2 t. each salt and pepper
- 1 pound Jovial Brown Rice Penne Pasta
- Lightly steam the asparagus, carrot, and zucchini making sure not to overcook, set aside.
- Start the oil on low to medium heat with the minced garlic for a few minutes making sure that it doesn’t burn, look for a golden creamy quality.
- Turn the heat to medium high and add the mushrooms, tossing around for about a minute, add the red peppers for another minute or two. Add the seamed vegetables and sauté for another couple of minutes then add the salt and petter.
- Add the vegetable stock, when it comes to a rolling boil fold in the Fauxmaggio, mixing until completely incorporated. Turn heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions then add it to the Vegan Primavera.
Find Bliss Boston Food Editor Jimmy Smith is the founder, co-owner, and VP of Love Catering, Inc. in Los Angeles, a full-service catering company to to the stars…and their hanger’s-on. For the past seven years, he has been a stay-at-home Dad and short-order cook for his partner and their seven year-old triplets here in Topsfield, MA. Yes, triplets…