Photo of Shannon by: tracyrodriguezphotography.com

If your practice finds you rolling out your mat in and around the Merrimack Valley, chances are you have had the good fortune of taking a class or a workshop with Shannon Worth.  ReposeSaltwater and Riverside Yoga in Newburyport as well as Yoga Tree in Haverhill… all studios whose weekly schedules are sparked by Shannon’s signature vinyasa flow classes.  While pursuing a career in Physical Education, she fell in love with yoga for its mindfulness and respect of the physical body and now confesses to having a “slight addiction to handstands”.  She now extends that passion beyond yoga studios to classes she leads for teens and to professional training for educators seeking to to incorporate yoga in to the classroom.

Shannon completed her teacher training at Yogaworks Back Bay with teachers Lynne Begier, Ryan Cunningham and her friend Caitlyn Graham to whom she is forever grateful for introducing her to the practice.  “I teach to allow students to self-explore, find compassion, love and acceptance for others, and most importantly, themselves.  I believe yoga is the best path to do this self-exploration work.  I know because I live, as well as teach, my yoga.”  In addition to her 200 hour certification, Shannon is also certified in Kripalu Yoga In Schools and Childlight Yoga trained.  Check out her Thursday morning Slow Flow with Yin at the Yoga Tree, and see Shannon’s full teaching schedule on her website.  You can also find her on Facebook and follow her on Instagram at worthlivin..

wind up… how do you wind up, prepare for the week ahead?

Honestly, I don’t necessarily know when the week is ending or beginning! I usually work on the weekends. However, I do still love Sundays and the energy of them. I try to keep them open. If I have the day off, I try to get a practice in, see some friends and family, and not do any sort of work. I will have prepared for my classes (that begin early on Monday morning – 7:15 am) already, so I can enjoy an entirely free day. After a coconut oil self-massage, reading or watching a show I’m currently addicted to, I am early to bed.

and, when you need to exhale… what’s your other direction?

A restorative practice if I can get it in. Then a glass (or two) of red wine…

favorite high powered snack?

Cinnamon roll Quest Bar – probably more medium vibe than some other choices but they are a true go-to for me so I gotta be honest.

what three things are you never without?

1 – Not 100% true, but if I could (and believe me I do whenever I can!) my dog.
2 – My phone (I definitely take technology cleanses from time to time though).
3 – A book.  Right now it is The Untethered Soul, by Michael Singer, but last month it was The Nest, by Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney – a super fun beach read so I keep a balance!)

the sound of music… you have room for 5 tracks on your playlist, they are?

Fleetwood Mac – Hold Me
Dave Matthews – The Best of What’s Around
Brandi Carlile – Do I have to pick one!!!?? Arrghh That Wasn’t Me
Bel Biv Devoe – Poison
Bruce Springsteen – Thunder Road
This is a kickass playlist and was also maybe one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do!

could you repeat that? one cue that you regularly share with your students, and the story behind it…

I’m obsessed with cue-ing triangle. “Both hips pull back towards your back heel,” I guess is my regular cue. Bec Conant who I did a pre natal teacher training with, was the first one I remember really learning that from. That you don’t “square your hips to the side of the mat.” Now when I think about trying to do that I cringe. Then I took a workshop with Ame Wren who referred to the cue “your hips are headlights shine them to the side of the room.” She said, “Your hips are not headlights. They have legs attached to them and can be facing different directions and most times should be.” She explained more of the anatomy behind what I had felt was right, and I can’t stop talking about how to practice triangle anymore. Its a game changer!

your bible… what one book have you most often give as a gift?

Okay, this is not yoga-related and I might regret telling this story… But, as I used to be a health teacher, I thought it was funny at baby showers to give the book Where Did I Come From?, by Peter Mayle.  And it was. But now, one of my friends daughters is five years old and apparently she loves the book so much she sleeps with it under her pillow. Never too early to learn, right?

bliss pose?

Supported Fish (matsyasana)

finish the sentence? i’d like to teach the world to…

Listen to one another. We don’t have to agree. But we HAVE to listen, not waiting to respond, but listening to understand. Only when people do this, will there be any peace. I have faith.