Meet Roman Szpond of Inner Strength Studios…

160_6074-2

For nearly two decades, the team at Inner Strength Studios  (with locations in Watertown and Sudbury) has been obsessed with providing the ideal space where physical, mental, emotional and spiritual transformation happens. This week we chat studio owner Roman Szpond who practices seven days a week using yoga’s benefits to both wind up and wind down.  Roman, along with Lauren Star and Charles Barone just kicked off their 2016 Yoga Teacher Training program, Four Pillars of Freedom.  And, for all the weary runners seeking refuge after the trek from Hopkinson to the Back Bay he suggests Bound Half Moon.  “This posture lengthens the standing hamstrings and also lengthens the bound legs quad muscle.  The hamstrings and thighs get smoked during a marathon.  And, make sure you do both sides!  If your balance is off, then lean against the wall for support.”

wind up…  your go to class or ritual that keeps you prepped for monday mornings?

I practice yoga throughout the week.  I often practice on Monday at 6 AM.  This helps me to get energized for the week ahead.  But, I also then use yoga to wind down in the evening.  The practice literally meets you where you are.  For example, with a Friday practice yoga helps me also to wring out the week.  Then, a Monday practice assists to get my focus and energy ready for the next seven days.

other direction…  and, when you need to exhale?

I’m always exhaling!  The only way to get another big breath in is to exhale completely… this is where the energy to wind up comes from and the energy to wind down comes from.  The same holds true with anything… we have to let go in order to fill up again.  Or, it’s all overflowing and not being absorbed.

what three things are you never without?

I’m never without patience, awareness and gratitude.

what one book do you most often turn to?

The Bible.

dream team, if you could practice with any two teachers…  they would be?

Baron Baptiste and Richard Freedman

the sound of music…  you have room for only 3 tracks on your playlist, they are…

The 5 tracks on my playlist would be:

Feels So Good, by Van Halen

A House is Not a Home, by Luther Vandross

Beethoven’s 5th Piano Concerto

There Goes My Life, by Kenny Chesney

rainy days and mondays always get you…

No, I love rainy days.  Mondays are like most peoples’ Saturdays.  I’ve truly found something I love… leading yoga classes and developing teachers.  Not work for me…

bliss pose?

Bliss pose is savasana all the way…

finish the following sentence?  i’d like to teach the world to…

I’d like to teach the world to hold their own.

Profile compiled by Susan Currie.