MEET BECKY GABRYJELSKI…

This week we catch up with Rebecca (Becky) Gabryjelski a once formidable spinning instructor who long ago traded in her clip-on shoes for a yoga mat.  These days, when she is not bringing new life into the world as a labor and delivery nurse, you will likely find her at the helm of a packed studio somewhere north of Boston advancing vitality of another sort.  Beloved for her signature sequencing, clever playlists and way with words… expect to be (gently) pushed in Becky’s vinyasa classes no matter the level.  Don’t miss her Monday morning Flow at Tribe.  And, practice with Becky on Sunday mornings at The Yoga Loft and on Wednesday and Friday mornings at Drive Custom Fit.

_DSC4699-Edit

wind up…  how do you wind up, prepare for your classes? 

To prepare I often take long walks in the morning with Sukha, our dog, and think of a peak pose or a theme. From there the class just seems to unfold for me.  Of course if you know me, then you’ll know it usually doesn’t go exactly as planned. And then there’s my music…    Most people probably don’t know that I am a lover of hip hop and rap. Old school or current, it doesn’t matter! ALL of it makes me happy, and I love to practice with it playing LOUD!

and, when you need to exhale…  what’s your other direction? 

To unwind these days is difficult. Between working nights as a Registered Nurse, teaching, and family commitments…  sleeping seems to be my favorite way to unwind!

high powered snack?

I am a chocolate addict so I always have Kind bars. Dark chocolate nuts and sea salt are my favorite.

_DSC4615-Edit

your bliss pose?

Something that always speaks loudly to me is moving slowly, like through honey, from down dog to wild thing or full wheel.  I feel sooooo good, and it always bring a smile to my face!

what three things are you never without?

My iPod, music is always on in our home and dancing is a must!
My mat, you never know when you may have an opportunity to sneak in a practice.
My planner, I wear a few hats. wife, Mom, nurse, yoga teacher. I can’t ever remember where I am supposed to be… and when!

the sound of music…   you have room for 5 tracks on your playlist, they are?

Right now (if it’s not hip hop or rap) I’m loving anything from the album Loveland, by Jai Uttal and Ben Leinbach.

your bible…  what one book do you turn to time and time again for inspiration?

The Heart of Yoga, by TKV Desikachar – have read it at least FIVE times since my training and still find something insightful and new each time.

_DSC6008-Edit

finish the following sentence?  i’d like to teach the world to…

Raise their children with compassion and love for all beings – perhaps beginning to undo the divisiveness in the world and blurring the man-made lines that have been created over time.

Profile compiled by Susan Currie.  All images by Susan Currie.