DSC_7456-Edit

Meet Yoga Instructor TJ Mokkosian, the new owner at Self Awakening Yoga (http://www.selfawakening.net)

wind up…  how do you wind up, prepare for the week ahead?

I wake up  at 5 AM so I can make it to the studio for my first Ashtanga practice of the week.  The repetitive nature of the practice really grounds me and is the perfect indicator for where I am at emotionally physically and energetically.

and, when you need to exhale…  what’s your other other direction?

Interestingly enough, I balance my yogic life style by hopping into a professional wrestling ring and developing my character Tyler Burrows.  Tyler in theory is a bad guy hell bent on spreading the message of veganism and his pure life style. People are often shocked when they hear about my other passion, but to me I have learned more about myself in the ring as much as I have on my mat.  I always tell my wrestling teacher that he is my favorite yoga teacher and doesn’t even know it.

favorite high powered snack?

I love Smoothies.  I tend to not even care if they taste good because I figure if I can get everything healthy for my day in the blender first thing in the morning then I don’t feel as guilty about the cake and the coffee later on… I am not saying this is a good philosophy, but it’s mine.

what three things are you never without?

Music, my yoga mat and my cell phone.

DSC_2319

the sound of music…   you have room for 5 tracks on your playlist, they are?

1. Smoke or Fire – Beauty Fades

2. La Dispute – Damaged Goods

3. River Jumpers – Peaks and Troughs

4. Strike Anywhere – My Design

5. Spice Girls – Say You’ll Be There

your bible…  what one book do you turn to time and time again for inspiration?

Ishmael by Daniel Quinn

DSC_2151

what makes you happy?

I am happy when I am doing something I am passionate about.  I have been lucky or (the way I see it) smart enough to create a life that allows me to participate in things I love every single day.  I always come back to that when I struggle.  I do what I love, and no one can ever take that away from me.

Interview compiled by Susan Currie