OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Sandy Byrne…  Owner of  River Rock Yoga & Wellness Center

E-RYT, Yoga Tune Up® Teacher Trainer, and LMT

I found my way to the mat about 14 years ago.  Before that I was a competitive gymnast and coach.   I looked shiny and pretty on the outside but my insides where falling apart from all the misuse, overuse and abuse from many years of coaching and gymnastics.  Yoga put me back together and made me feel better in all of my bodies.

wind up…  how do you wind up, prepare for the week ahead?

Hmmm that’s a hard question because I own a studio and have a family so it’s pretty hard  to wind down.  I think I’m always wound up!  That’s why I do yoga.  Its my practice and my teaching that actually ground me and keep me able to do life.

and, when you need to exhale…  what’s your other direction?

The things that fill me up and slow me down:  Of course my yoga & meditation practice help, but give me a walk in the woods or a day at the beach and I’m good to go.  As well as spending time with my family and friends.

favorite high powered snack?

My healthy delight? B.Good Kale Crush Smoothie 

My secret pleasure? Dark Chocolate

the sound of music…   you have room for 5 tracks on your playlist, they are?

Om Shakti Om by Trevor Hall

God is Real by Krishna Dass

Winter Song by Sara Bareilles/Ingrid Michaelson

93 Million Miles by Jason Mraz

Ariel by Peter Jack Rainbird

Hadra by Lumin

your bible…  what one book do you turn to time and time again for inspiration?

If you’re asking what’s by my nightstand, right now it’s covered in anatomy books. My favorites? The Roll Model Method by Jill Miller and Alignment Matters by Katy Bowman.  As far as my spiritual go to? The Bhagavad Gita translated by Stephen Mitchell is my favorite. It’s an easy read and each time I read it, I see it from a completely new perspective. Each stanza is painted with different color penned/penciled notes. I can tell where I was when I was reading it last and witness the shift in my perspective. 

Sandy Byrne assists Jill Miller, creator of Yoga Tune Up®, nationally and is a lead teacher trainer in the Yoga Tune Up® community. Sandy (an E-RYT and an Integrated Therapeutic Yoga Tune Up® Teacher/Trainer) will be leading The Roll Model Method – The Science of Rolling on November 21 at Om Warrior in Boston.  This event will mark Ms. Byrne’s first time ever Yoga Tune Up® appearance in the Boston area.

River Rock Yoga & Wellness

Interview compiled by Susan Currie